The Scarlet Macaw is a South American parrot characterized by its vibrant plumage and mimicry of human speech. EnviroKidz is proud to partner with The Amazon Conservation Team in their efforts to educate local communities and protect the rainforest with its multitude of species. Read on to learn more about the Scarlet Macaw and what The Amazon Conservation Team is doing to ensure their intelligence and social nature can be appreciated by future generations.
The Amazon Conservation Team
The Amazon Conservation Team partners with indigenous people (and kids!) to protect the rainforest. Visit their website: www.amazonteam.org to learn more.
· Macaws have large, powerful beaks that can easily crack nuts and seeds.
· Macaws are playful and inquisitive and are able to mimic human vocalizations very well.
· Macaws live an average of 60 years. They mate for life, and share the task of raising young
· Macaws have toes with special grips that enable them to latch onto branches as well as to hold items – they’ve even been known to use tools.
EnviroKidz funding has helped ACT develop educational materials for their ethno-education programs, and has created opportunities for indigenous youth to learn about the rainforest and their traditional cultures. We’ve helped them build a school and fill it with culturally appropriate learning materials, and we’ve supported the development of curriculum and field trips in Suriname and Colombia. We’ve also helped ACT develop collaborative partnerships with other organizations, like UNICEF and tribal associations, to support indigenous education.
How You Can Help Save Scarlet Macaws
- Dedicate a school project to learning about the rainforest.
- Write to your political leaders to share your concerns for scarlet macaws
- Ask teachers to include the rainforest and biodiversity in your school’s curriculum. The Amazon Conservation Team has resources to support you.
- Donate by skipping your daily coffee so you can help provide the Amazon indigenous tribes with much-needed supplies.
- Enjoy EnviroKidz Strawberry Granola Bars knowing that 1 per cent of sales goes to support these great programs.
Every time you buy one of Nature’s Path’s EnviroKidz products, 1 per cent of the sales are donated to support endangered species, habitat conservation, and environmental education for kids worldwide. To date, we have raised over $3 million to help out partnering organizations with their educational and protection efforts!
Would you like to be the first to hear about our new products, best blog posts, delicious recipes, and more? Sign up for our Nature’s Path Newsletter.