Curious about becoming vegan? There are so many benefits to following a vegan diet. It’s better for our planet, the animals, and our bodies! Here are 13 quotes to convince you in the case against meat, from the book Eating Animals by Jonathan Safran Foer.
1. “Animal agriculture makes a 40 per cent greater contribution to global warming than all transportation in the world combined; it is the number one cause of climate change.”
2. “The average shrimp trawling operation throws 80 to 90 percent of the sea animals it captures overboard – dead or dying, as bycatch.”
3. “Imagine if, when you went out for sushi, your plate not only contained your meal, but also all of the animals that were killed for your serving of sushi. The plate might have to be five feet across.”
4. Factory farms are contributing to the growth of antimicrobial-resistant pathogens simply because these farms consume so many antimicrobials.”
5. “Very often, those who express concern about (or even interest in) the conditions which farmed animals are raised are disregarded as sentimentalists.”
6. “[T]wo friends are ordering lunch. One says, ‘I’m in the mood for a burger’, and orders it. The other says, ‘I’m in the mood for a burger,’ but remembers that there are things more important to him than what he is in the mood for at any given moment, and orders something else. Who is the sentimentalist?”
7. “For each food animal species, animal agriculture is now dominated by the factory farm – 99.9 percent of chickens raised for meat, 97 percent of laying hens, 99 percent of turkeys, 95 percent of pigs, and 78 percent of cattle.”
8. “On average, Americans eat the equivalent of 21,000 entire animals in a lifetime.”
9. “People care about animals. I believe that. They just don’t want to know or to pay. [Animals] feel their slaughters. It’s wrong, and people know it’s wrong … I’m not trying to convince people to live by my standards of what’s right. I’m trying to convince them to live by their own.”
10. “Scientific studies and government records suggest that virtually all (upwards of 95 percent) of chickens become infected with E. coli (an indicator of fecal contamination).”
11. “By the standards of the international human rights community, the typical working conditions in America’s slaughterhouses constitute human rights violations.”
12. “Applied to meat, eggs, dairy … the free-range label is bullshit. It should provide no more peace of mind than ‘all-natural’, ‘fresh’ or ‘magical’.”
13. “… we already understand … that something terribly wrong is happening. Our sustenance now comes from misery. We know that if someone offers to show us a film on how our meat is produced, it will be a horror film.”
Nature’s Path offers a huge selection of vegan products – check them out!
Would you like to be the first to hear about our new products and more?
Sign up for our Nature’s Path Newsletter.