The Cheetah – known for its unmatched speed and title as the fastest land animal on the planet – finds it’s existence in a vulnerable state. EnviroKidz is proud to partner with Defenders of Wildlife in their efforts to protect keystone species like the cheetah and help maintain the health of their ecosystems. Read on to learn more about these beautiful animals and what Defenders of Wildlife is doing so that these fascinating animals can continue to roam the savannah forever.
Did you know?
- The cheetah is the fastest land animal in the world, reaching speeds of up to 113km/h. They can accelerate from 0 to 100km/h in just 3 seconds. When running, cheetahs use their tail to steer, like a rudder on a boat.
- A cheetah has amazing eyesight during the day and can spot prey from 5 km away – but unlike most cats, cheetahs have terrible night vision.
- The long, black lines that run from the inside of each eye to the mouth are called “tear lines.” They help protect the cheetah’s eyes from the harsh sun and help them to see long distances.
- Cheetahs only need to drink once every three to four days.
- The cheetah’s golden coat with many small, black spots helps it blend in with their grassy habitat.
Defenders of Wildlife
Defenders of Wildlife, an American nonprofit dedicated to protecting animals and plants in their native habitats. From polar bears in the frozen North, to wild bison roaming grassy plains, to manatees swimming in Florida’s warm coastal currents, Defenders gives a voice to the little guy (even if he’s not always so little). Defenders believes in the inherent value of wildlife and the natural world, and this singular focus defines their place in the environmental and conservation community. They protect and restore endangered species throughout North America by transforming policies and promoting innovative solutions – and this approach makes a lasting difference for wildlife and its habitat.
EnviroKidz funding has helped Defenders of Wildlife protect and rehabilitate keystone species like the endangered gray wolf, the jaguar, and the plains bison. We support Defenders as they represent wildlife and their habitat on the ground, in the courtroom, and people’s hearts. Since our partnership with Defenders began in 2011, we’ve contributed to their mission to educate the public about the value of wildlife in healthy ecosystems, and helped them in their research into endangered species. Defenders initiatives aim to create a world where humans and animals coexist in harmony as friends from afar, and we’re convinced that both our lives and those of the animals they support will be richer for it.
How can you save the cheetah?
- Adopt an animal for you or for a friend.
- Join the Defenders of Wildlife online community to learn about volunteer opportunities in your area.
- Talk to your friends and neighbors. Tell them why you support wildlife protection, and help them see how people and wildlife can coexist.
- Call or write your local legislator and get them on your side. Once they become advocates for wildlife protection, they can make positive changes in policy. Defenders has advice on what to say.
- Enjoy EnviroKidz Cheetah Berry Blast crispy rice bars knowing that 1% of sales goes to support these great programs.
Every time you buy one of Nature’s Path’s EnviroKidz products, 1% of the sales are donated to support endangered species, habitat conservation, and environmental education for kids worldwide. To date, we have raised over $3 million to help our partnering organizations with their educational and protection efforts!