The antler wearing, northern dwelling Caribou also known as Reindeer – has its greatest ecological influence from humans. EnviroKidz is proud to partner with Defenders of Wildlife and support their efforts to express to the general public the value of individual species in the health of a larger ecosystem, and to promote a sustainable and mutually fruitful coexistence with animals. Read on to learn more about the Caribou and what Defenders of Wildlife is doing to keep them freely roaming the tundras, mountains, and forests across the world.
Did you know?
• Caribou make one of the biggest animal migrations on earth, walking hundreds of miles to find milder weather and food (lichen).
• Caribou have hollow hair that keeps them warm and helps them to float when crossing rivers.
• Caribou usually use only two of their four hoofed ‘toes’ for walking, but rely on the second two to keep them balanced when traveling through deep snow.
• Caribou have specially shaped hooves to help them dig to find buried food.
Defenders of Wildlife helps endangered animals around the world. Find out how you can help by visiting www.defenders.org.
EnviroKidz funding has helped Defenders of Wildlife protect and restore keystone keystone species like the Mexican gray wolf, Florida Panthers, and the plains bison. We support Defenders as they represent wildlife and their habitat on the ground, in the courtroom, and people’s hearts. Since our partnership with Defenders began in 2011, we’ve contributed to their mission to educate the public about the value of wildlife in healthy ecosystems, and helped them in their research into endangered species. Defenders initiatives aim to create a world where humans and animals coexist in harmony, and we’re convinced that both our lives and those of the animals they support will be richer for it.
How You Can Help Save Caribou
• Adopt an animal for you or for a friend.
• Talk to your friends and neighbors. Tell them why you support wildlife protection, and help them see how people and wildlife can coexist.
• Call or write your local legislator and get them on your side. Once they become advocates for wildlife protection, they can make positive changes in policy. Defenders has advice on what to say
• Enjoy EnviroKidz Oatmeal Maple Brown Sugar Oatmeal knowing that 1 per cent of sales goes to support these great programs.
Every time you buy one of Nature’s Path’s EnviroKidz products, 1% of the sales are donated to support endangered species, habitat conservation, and environmental education for kids worldwide. To date, we have raised over $3 million to help our partnering organizations with their educational and protection efforts!