Spring is the perfect time to enjoy all of the beauty that nature provides us. One really fun way to involve children in nature play is by creating and playing with real flowers! Whether you plant a flower garden or find wildflowers on a nature walk, there are plenty of kids’ activities you can do with them. Here are a few to get you started.
Kids Arts & Crafts Using Flowers
Flowers can actually serve as really great inspiration for some beautiful kids’ artwork! Here are some fun ways to combine nature with art:
- Make by attaching flowers to sticks or bundle flowers in a
- Use flower seeds to create to plant your own flower garden
- Make a beautiful
- and use them as inspiration for still-life drawings
- Turn that kids will love to use
- Arrange dried flowers and add some eyeballs to turn your nature finds into an adorable
- Dry petals and adhere them to a mason jar to make a that allows you to enjoy your flowers all year long
Play Prompts with Real Flowers
Engaging the senses creates lasting impressions and allows for greater processing of information. These hands-on play experiences using real flowers are not only fun, but are also educational:
- Observe whether or not , or turn them into (you can even add glitter to make this )
- Allow kids to , add a pair of scissors for trimming and water for filling a vase to encourage a
- Use fresh flowers to make a for fun flower observation
- Turn handpicked woven daisies into a or laminate flower petals and cut into the shape of a
Using Flowers for Learning
Fine and gross motor practice are important components of early learning, and incorporating nature into these practices is a really fun way to make learning enjoyable. Here are some ideas to try:
- Practice scissor skills by using flowers for
- to make the exploration of them a baby-safe activity
- Make a loom out of sticks and
- Place white flowers in jars with water and food coloring to create a
- Add cut up dried flowers to water to make
As we know, there are great benefits to outdoor play, and kids love to collect flowers while playing and exploring outdoors. These kids’ activities using flowers are such fun ways to incorporate a little bit of nature into early learning and play, and will put all of those collected flowers to good use!
Would you like to be the first to hear about our new products and more?
Sign up for our Nature’s Path Newsletter.