Learning about cultures and customs helps children to appreciate diversity and gives them an opportunity to engage with and understand other cultures in a considerate way.
The following activities will help children respectfully interact and engage with people from diverse cultures!
1. Listen to songs in different languages.
Maybe start with a few nursery rhymes found on YouTube.
2. Play a board game.
This one helps kids learn about landmarks, flags and geography around the world.
3. Eat at a local ethnic restaurant.
First, read about the food offered.
4. Check out PenPalWorld.com.
This website allows children to converse with an international friend.
5. Listen to music.
This website has samples of music from all over the world. Put some on and have a dance party!
6. Cook up a storm.
Find a traditional recipe from another culture and prepare the dish at home.
7. Read a book!
This one shows what different houses look like around the world.
8. Make a homemade passport.
As your child learns something new about another culture, draw a picture in the passport and see how many pages you can fill.
9. Print this list of major holidays around the world by season and discuss them as they come.
10. Get crafty!
Pick one of these world culture crafts and activities to start with.
11. Learn how to say ‘thank you’ in multiple languages.
12. Attend a cultural festival in your area.
13. Head to a local museum.
While you’re there, look for items from other cultures.
14. Research money from around the world.
Draw coins or bills on paper and set up a pretend market.
15. Act out a folk tale!
These activities about other cultures and customs will help young children to respect and celebrate the differences in all people, while gaining a deeper understanding for others.